1. A box or crate used as a makeshift stand by a public speaker.
2. A thing that provides an opportunity for someone to air their views publicly.
Hot on the heels of the #IfSoccerTrendsDuringSuperBowl* hashtag it was clear to us here at Soccer Support that we needed to create more avenues for fans to talk about their love for the game and create another fun and simple platform for users to speak openly and honestly about the state of soccer here in the U.S.
That’s why we are proud to be launching project number 2 tonight on Twitter (at 4:30pm PT/7:30pm ET). The first of a weekly series of Twitter Chats, we are encouraging fans to share their visions and experiences about the sport while linking with fellow fans across the country to discuss ways they can help #GrowTheGame.
Some of you might be asking right now what is a Twitter Chat and how to I participate…which is indeed a good question!
A Twitter Chat is a discussion surrounding a hashtag (#SoccerSoapbox) that is regularly scheduled (Wednesdays) and in this case, moderated by Soccer Support. Discussions are based on a soccer related theme announced prior to the chat beginning with moderators then asking a series of questions that are answered by you, the participant.
- The theme for the week will be announced 30 minutes before the chat begins
- The chat starts at 4:30pm PT or 7:30pm for those on the East Coast
- The chat lasts for 1 hour
- 4 questions will be posted by moderators during the hour or one every 15 minutes for those playing at home
WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!
These chats are for the soccer community, not for Soccer Support. It’s an opportunity to bring fans together and engage in valuable and insightful discussion around the state of soccer in the U.S. And as long as everyone follows these basic guiding principles then we are all going to get along just fine;
- If you see something you like, retweet it – Sharing is caring
- Keep your tweets as short as possible – This is important because it makes it easy for others to retweet you! Keep it to around 120 characters and then include #SoccerSoapbox so people can see your response.
- If you have a reply but you didn’t answer it during the 15 minutes allotted for that specific question we still want to hear what you have to say. However we encourage users to include the #GrowTheGame hashtag instead of #SoccerSoapbox when responding so the current conversation can move forward smoothly.
- Don’t hijack the conversation – If you want to interact with someone on a separate issue you can simply remove the hashtag.
- Please stick with the questions and themes of the week and don’t try and divert topic to another subject.
- Acknowledge that we are all trying to #GrowTheGame in the U.S. If you disagree with a comment reply constructively not negatively.
APPS TO HELP YOU INTERACT WITH #SOCCERSOAPBOX
We also encourage users to use TweetChat (http://tweetchat.com/) instead of using the Twitter search functionality so you can get the most out of your #SoccerSoapbox experience.
When you authorize TweetChat you should specify #SoccerSoapbox as the hashtag you’d like to follow and then begin participating. This third party app will even tag your tweets with #SoccerSoapbox! Who said we weren’t here to make life easier for you!
Finally, and this one is more of a tip – keep Twitter.com open in the background to keep an eye on your @replies. With the speed of some chats it can be very easy to miss but this tip will allow you to answer users back in a timely fashion.
The conversation doesn’t end there though! Soccer Support will produce a weekly summary at the conclusion of every Twitter Chat that shares the highlights from every question and more and will be found right here on SoccerSpeakUSA. We will also announce a weekly #GrowTheGame supporter of the week who will be featured in our summary. This will go to the person Soccer Support feels gave the best insights and responses during the hour and embodied what #SoccerSoapbox is setting out to achieve.
#SoccerSoapbox is just one of the projects being launched by Soccer Support USA this year which facilitates open conversations about soccer and will see fans, volunteers and clubs interact in ways never seen before.
So log in every Wednesday at 4:30pm PT/7:30pm ET and join in the conversation!
* with some great viral marketing we saw #IfSoccerTrendsDuringSuperBowl have 958 tweets, 615 RT, 381 contributors & 50 links and #GrowTheGame have 99 tweets, 41 contributors & 50 retweets at the conclusion of Sunday’s game.